Town of Austin
Jeffersonville Railroad construction began 1848, completed through 1852. First station built on this site circa 1853 with two wood yards nearby for fuel. Official plat of Austin recorded 1853. Tradition is that town named by Mexican~American War veterans who used land vouchers given for service; several had served in Austin, Texas.
Early industries were timber~related with several saw and stave mills, which produced materials for ship building and made millions of barrel staves before the large trees were depleted. Food canning then became the major industry. In 1899, J.S. Morgan and others opened first cannery, which developed into national supplier of canned foods.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Preservation Alliance, Inc., and Scoutt County Community Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marshfield Train Robbery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lake Iola Interurban Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Scottsburg Depot (approx. 4.6 miles away); Scott County Courthouse (approx. 4.6 miles away); Scott County War Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); William Hayden English (approx. 4.6 miles away); Scott County's Carnegie Library (approx. 4.7 miles away); Scott County Home (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Austin Indiana History. (Submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.