Pendleton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
An Upcountry General Store
Located in the center of Historic Pendleton (1790), the building now housing the Pendleton District Commission was constructed in 1850 as a general store for Jesse Lewis. The business first came into the Hunter family in 1870 when it became "Hunter and Long." Partner James Hunter bought full control of the business which passed through several generations of Hunter ownership, becoming known as simply "Hunter's Store."
Everything from A to Z -- apples to zinnia seeds -- could be purchased as Hunter's Store. "Dry Goods" such as shoes and clothing were sold alongside local produce such as fresh eggs, other foodstuff like flour and coffee, as well as farm tools and chicken feed. "One-Stop Shopping" is not a recent invention!
In 1929 a new building was constructed next door and opened that year as the new Hunter's Store. The 1850 building was used for storage and workspace until the store ceased operation in 1962.
In 1968 the Tri-County Pendleton District Commission bought the old general store and has used it since then as the Commission's headquarters, including a Local and Family History archives. The Commission installed the first plumbing and electricity in this building. Otherwise, few changes have been made to the structure which retains its original exterior appearance as well as the interior's
Hunter's Store was a landmark business in Pendleton and continues to be "the place to go" today.
The Resident Ghost
For years, Commission staff members heard strange footsteps and noises from the second floor. The Hunter descendants confirmed that the building was indeed haunted. The story goes that in the 1890s the present-day library room was used as a caretaker's apartment. A local fellow who had imbibed a little too much liquid refreshment fall off his horse into nearby Eighteen Mile Creek and was "fished out" and put to bed in the caretaker's room. Left overnight in his wet clothes and with no heat, he was found dead the next morning after a sudden cold snap lowered the spring temperature below freezing. Apparently he still visits the site of his demise, in the process alarming staff members with loud noises and even an occasional appearance!
In the fall of 1970, the entire town of Pendleton plus a small area extending into Pickens County was named to the National Register of Historic Places. Its 6,316 acres make it one of the largest historic districts in the nation. Pendleton is fortunate to have more than forty individually recognized historic structures and sites within its boundaries, most dating before 1865. It is a popular destination
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 39.1′ N, 82° 47′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on East Queen Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the east side of the building. Hunter's Store is located at the intersection of Queen and Mechanic's Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Queen Street, Pendleton SC 29670, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pendleton (here, next to this marker); Health & Heritage Walking Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Mill Stone (about 400 feet away); African American School Site Printer John Miller (about 600 feet away); "The Hundreds" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Green Clemson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clement Hoffman Stevens (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Green Clemson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Also see . . .
1. Pendleton District. Official website of the Pendleton Historic and Recreation District. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Pendleton District Historical, Recreational & Tourism Commission. A General Store built in 1850, Hunter's Store houses this SC Regional Tourism Office, where visitors can find information, maps, and brochures about sites in the old Pendleton District, now known as Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens Counties. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Pendleton District Commission plans renovations to Hunter's Store. A ghost in Pendleton could soon be in for a shake-up. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Will the ghost return to Hunter’s Store? Pendleton historic structure undergoes structural repairs (Submitted on September 30, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Pendleton Historic District working to complete Hunter’s Store. The completion of a long-anticipated project of the Pendleton Historic District is slowly moving forward, according to the executive director. (Submitted on September 30, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Pendleton, South Carolina. Pendleton is a town in Anderson County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Town of Pendleton. Progress and the past go hand-in-hand in the historic town of Pendleton, South Carolina. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
8. South Carolina Heritage Corridor. Designated by Congress in 1996 as a National Heritage Area, the Heritage Corridor runs from the foothills of Oconee County in the northwestern corner of the state, along the Savannah River, through the Edisto River Basin, to the port city of Charleston. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,947 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.