New River Gorge National River
During its heyday the entire depot bustled. At one time 20 passenger trains stopped here each day. An estimated three million people passed through this building between 1910 and 1950. The C&O closed Thurmond offices in 1984. The National Park Service restored the depot and opened it as a visitor center in 1995.
(Inscription below the image in the lower left)
A postcard view (above) from the early 1900s illustrates the crowds that once greeted trains here. In 1910 alone Thurmondís depot served 76,000 passengers.
(Inscription beside the image in the upper center)
The depot was long and narrow due to limited space between the mainline tracks and the riverbank. The downstairs served passengers; the upstairs housed offices.
(Inscription below the image in the upper right)
Mr. William Bennett, track supervisor, was photographed in his depot office in 1906.
Erected by National Park Service US Department of Interior.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thurmond, West Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); Thurmondís Decline (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Heart of Town (about 800 feet away); The Railroad Was the Town (about 800 feet away); Glen Jean Athletic Club (approx. 4.6 miles away); Indirect Firing (approx. 6.1 miles away); Oakwood Mine Complex (approx. 6.1 miles away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thurmond.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.