The Heart of Town
New River Gorge National River
Thurmond once boasted a telegraph and express office, district telephone offices and a telephone exchange, two general stores, offices of two coal companies, a restaurant, drug store, law office, shoemaker, jeweler, photographer, meat processing plant, offices of the Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency, and the Thurmond Hotel.
But despite a thriving commercial district, even in its prime in the 1920s Thurmond’s resident population never exceeded 500.
“One of the finest little hostelries in the state is the new Thurmond Hotel…There are 35 rooms with seven bathrooms. The building is heated by steam and lighted with 400 electric lights…Nearly every room is filled every night.” Fayette Journal January 23, 1902.
(Inscription above the image in the lower right)
The Thurmond Hotel (below, circa 1909) stood where you now stand. Beyond the hotel were more businesses, including an Armour packing plant that shipped meat to coal camps for 30 years. The hotel and Armour plant burned in 1963.
Erected by National Park Service
Location. 37° 57.534′ N, 81° 4.824′ W. Marker is in Thurmond, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is on Thurmond Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thurmond WV 25936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thurmond’s Decline (here, next to this marker); The Railroad Was the Town (here, next to this marker); Thurmond, West Virginia (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thurmond Depot (about 800 feet away); Glen Jean Athletic Club (approx. 4.6 miles away); Indirect Firing (approx. 6 miles away); Oakwood Mine Complex (approx. 6 miles away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thurmond.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.