Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites

 
 
Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 26, 2018
1. Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites Marker
This marker replaced a previous marker in 2018.
Inscription.  
Templo y antiguo convento de las Carmelitas
Este espacio inició su construcción a petición de un grupo de doncellas sin dote que tenían la intención de fundar un beaterio de la orden de Carmelitas Descalzas. El terreno fue donado por varios mecenas de la ciudad y ocupó las calles de Teresa y de la Enseñanza, actualmente conocidas como Ocampo y Balvanera. En 1773 comenzó a funcionar como escuela para niños pobres, y en 1791 como Real Colegio de San José de Carmelitas.

En 1863, debido a la aplicación de la Leyes de Reforma, las monjas fueron exclaustradas y el espacio pasó a mano del gobierno civil. Posteriormente fue utilizado como vecindad, luego como escuela y taller para niños de escasos recursos. Desde 2007 es sede del Templo Expiatorio de Adoración Perpetua.

English:
Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites
In 1736, several young women without dowries met to found a convent of Barefoot Carmelites in Querétaro. Eventually, several city patrons donated a plot of land at the corner of streets Teresa and Eseñanza, today Ocampo and Balvanera, for the construction of the religious
“Carmelites” Temple and Convent previous marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 2, 2016
2. “Carmelites” Temple and Convent previous marker
This marker was replaced in 2018. Its Spanish text read:

Templo y Convento de Carmelitas
La hermana María Magdalena del Espíritu Santo, fundó un beaterio para doncellas pobres desamparadas. Su ejemplo hizo que ingresaran las sobrinos del Br. Don Diego Colchado, quien donó el inmueble en que se construyeron el templo y el convento.
El Excmo. Cardenal Lorenzana, arzobispo de México, estableció aquí el colegio de enseñanza para niñas, que mediante cédula del 7 de junio de 1781, se convirtió en Colegio Real.
En 1800, se autorizó la construcción de un nuevo templo y mejores viviendas, costeados por el síndico del Colegio, Don Juan Antonio Jáuregui y Urrutia, Marques del Villar del Aguila. La dedicación tuvo lugar el 20 de julio de 1802.
complex.

At the end of the 18th century, this site was also a school for poor girls called the Royal College of San José of the Carmelites. This was maintained until the Laws of Reform when the nuns were evicted. The site was later used as a tenement and then a school and workshops for poor children. Today, the nave of the church is home to the Expiatory Temple of Perpetual Adoration.
 
Erected 2018 by Municipalidad de Querétaro.
 
Location. 20° 35.527′ N, 100° 23.79′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is on Calle Melchor Ocampo just north of Calle Andrés Balvanera, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Manuel Montes Collantes (within shouting distance of this marker); Benito Juárez in Querétaro (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple of San Felipe Neri (about 120 meters away); Last Prison of Maximilian (about 150 meters away); Temple and former Convent of Capuchins (about 150 meters away); Jardín Guerrero / Municipal Palace
“Carmelites” Temple and Convent previous marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 2, 2016
3. “Carmelites” Temple and Convent previous marker
This marker was replaced in 2018. Its English text read:

English:
“Carmelites” Temple and Convent
Sister Maria Magdalena del Espiritu Santo, founded a devout for defenseless and poor young ladies. Her example inspired the nieces of Bachelor Don Diego Colchado to enter the convent; Don Diego donated the property where the temple and convent were built.
His Excellency, Cardinal Lorenzana, archbishop of Mexico, established the College for girls, which, through license dated on the 7th of June 1781, turned into the Royal College.
In 1800, the construction of a new temple and better housings was authorized, financed by the trustee of the College, Don Juan Antonio Jauregui y Urrutia, Marquis of Del Villar del Aguila. It was dedicated on the 20th of July 1802.
(about 150 meters away); Vicente Guerrero (about 150 meters away); Alley of Matamoros (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
The Carmelite Temple and Convent and previous marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 2, 2016
4. The Carmelite Temple and Convent and previous marker
The Carmelite Temple and Convent is to the left in this view south along Calle Melchor Ocampo.
Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 26, 2018
5. Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites Marker
The marker is to the right of the side entrance to the former temple and convent.
The Carmelite Temple and Convent and previous marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 2, 2016
6. The Carmelite Temple and Convent and previous marker
The main entrance of the Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 26, 2018
7. The main entrance of the Temple and former Convent of the Carmelites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 6, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   2, 3, 4. submitted on November 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on August 6, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   6. submitted on November 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   7. submitted on August 6, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement