Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair
The tombs before you mark the final resting places of The Reverend Dr. James Blair and his wife Sarah. Shortly after Dr. Blair was interred here, the church was abandoned in favor of a new building on the ‘mainland’. The church and the graveyard gradually fell into disrepair. Near the end of the 18th century, bricks of the ruined church were reportedly used to construct a wall around part of the cemetery. The remaining church tower and church yard became covered in weeds and plant growth. By 1807, a sycamore tree had begun to grow between the graves of James and Sarah Blair, slowly upturning their monuments. In 1906, the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities repaired and replaced the monuments and provided new inscription stones for the Blair graves. Funding for the restoration of the tomb of Dr. Blair in 2007 was provided by the Cypher Society, a group of former members of the governing Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary, in honor of Dr. Blair having served the College for fifty years as its primary founder and first president.
“Something special in the way of notice is due to the condition of the tombs of Commissary Blair and Mrs. Blair; the latter being the daughter of Philip Ludwell, of Green Spring, who married Miss Sarah Grymes of Middlesex. The tombs were placed side by side,
From William Meade. Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 1857, Vol. 1, Page 114
Location. 37° 12.506′ N, 76° 46.696′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway. Touch for map. The marker is at the Jamestown
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tombstones (here, next to this marker); The First General Assembly of Virginia (a few steps from this marker); Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown’s Churches (within shouting distance of this marker); Pocahontas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s (within shouting distance of this marker); Storehouse & First Well (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on December 1, 2016.