Fort Steele in East Kootenay, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
In 1887 the N.W.M.P. established a post here when friction developed between local natives and newly arrived ranchers. Spt. Sam Steele and 75 men maintained order and when they left one year later, the village changed its name to Fort Steele.
Fort Steele boomed in the 90’s as a center of river traffic and speculation; however, when the railway bypassed the town in 1898, its population plummeted.
Location. 49° 36.942′ N, 115° 37.818′ W. Marker is in Fort Steele, British Columbia, in East Kootenay. Marker is on Provincial Highway 93/95 just from St. Mary's Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Steele, British Columbia V0B 2L2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Fort Steele (Wikipedia). Fort Steele was a gold rush boom town founded in 1864 by John Galbraith. The town was originally called "Galbraith's Ferry", named after the ferry set up by the city's founder over the Kootenay River. It was the (Submitted on December 1, 2016.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Fort Steele.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.