Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Storehouse & First Well
“We digged a faire Well of fresh water in the Fort of excellent, sweet water which till then was wanting.” - John Smith
Here, at the center of the triangular James Fort, archaeologists found remains of a storehouse and the fort’s first well. A rectangular pattern of large structural postholes marked the storehouse site and indicated that it was a substantial building supported by upright timbers firmly seated in the ground. An adjacent cellar structure with a barrel-lined well in the floor served concurrently, as a storage space and water supply. Sometime before 1611 the well and cellar were abandoned and then backfilled with rubbish containing several hundred thousand artifacts.
The storehouse continued to be used for many years, serving as a temporary place of worship in 1617 while a new church was constructed. Remnants of the 1617 church foundations are exhibited under the glass in the nearby 1907 Memorial Church.
Archaeologist examining the wooden barrel well liner
Artist’s partial reconstruction of the storehouse and attached cellar/well
Archaeologists discovered words and drawings on both sides of this slate tablet found in the well – on display in the Archaearium Museum.
Three timber support postholes from the storehouse’s western wall
Erected by Jamestown Rediscovery Project.
Location. 37° 12.512′ N, 76° 46.723′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway. Touch for map. The marker is at the Jamestown National Historic Site, some few steps west of the entrance to the Memorial Church. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown VA 23081, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jamestown’s Churches (a few steps from this marker); Captain John Smith (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Captain John Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); James Fort Site 1607 – 1624 (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisades (within shouting distance of this marker); Pocahontas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tombstones (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 130 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.