Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palo Alto in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

From Sea Scouts to Environmental Volunteers

Desde Exploradores de Mar al Voluntario Ambiental

 
 
From Sea Scouts to Environmental Volunteers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
1. From Sea Scouts to Environmental Volunteers Marker
Captions: (top left) Environmental Volunteers take students on field trips through the badlands and other local nature preserves.; (top right) The EcoCenter stands at attention in front of the renewed marsh.; (bottom left) The Sea Scouts dedicated the building in 1941 with music from the Stanford Band and philanthropist Lucie Stern (wearing the white coat) watching from the lower deck.; (bottom right) The Palo Alto Yacht Harbor once brought large boats right up to the building.
Inscription. In 1941, this unique building stood at the edge of a yacht harbor. It was constructed for the Sea Scouts, a part of the Boy Scouts of America. After 50 years of use, the Sea Scouts left the base in 1991. This was five years after Palo Alto residents voted to stop dredging and let the harbor return to marshland.
Notice that the building looks like a ship. Local architects Birge and David Clark designed the building to honor its location on the water. The Clark brothers shaped the main hall like a rounded ships's hull. They also included porthole windows and gangplank decks.
Palo Alto philanthropist Lucie Stern commissioned the building, which originally cost $12,000.
With its rich tory, Palo Alto designated the Sea Scout base a local historic building in 2002. The Environmental Volunteers restored the abandoned building and as of 2012, gave it new life as a community center for environmental education.

Desde Exploradores de Mar al Voluntario Ambiental
En 1941, este edificio único se sitúa en el borde de un puerto deportivo (de yates). Fue construido por los Exploradoes del Mar, una parte de los Boy Scouts of America. Después de 50 años de uso, los Exploradores del Mar salió de la base en 1991. Esto fue cinco años después de que los residents de Palo Alto votaron para detener el dragado del
From Sea Scouts to Environmental Volunteers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
2. From Sea Scouts to Environmental Volunteers Marker
puerto y dejarlo al retornar a una zona pantanosa.
Tenga en cuenta que el edificio se parece a un barco. Arquitectos local, Birge y David Clark, diseñaron el edificio en honor a su ubicación en el agua. Los hermanos Clark formaron a la sala principal como el casco redondo de un barco. También incluyeron las ventanas de portilla y las cubiertas de pasarela.
Filántropo Lucie Stern de Palo Alto comisionó al edificio, que originalmente costó $12,000.
Con su historia rica, Palo Alto designó a la base de Exploradores del Mar como un edificio histórico en 2002. Los Voluntarios Ambientales restauraron el edificio abandonado y a partir en 2012, le dieron nueve vida como un centro comunitario de educación ambiental.
 
Location. 37° 27.386′ N, 122° 6.506′ W. Marker is in Palo Alto, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Embarcadero Road near Embarcadero Way, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2560 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto CA 94303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rengstorff House (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Spirit of the Times (approx. 2.1 miles away); J. Pearce Mitchell Park (approx.
Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
3. Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter
2.4 miles away); Semiconductor Planar Process and Integrated Circuit, 1959 (approx. 2.4 miles away); First Commercially Practicable Integrated Circuit (approx. 2.4 miles away); John Adams Squire House (approx. 2½ miles away); El Palo Nuevo (approx. 2½ miles away); Birthplace of “Silicon Valley” (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palo Alto.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located in the Environmental Volunteer EcoCenter parking lot.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
4. Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter
Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
5. Environmental Volunteers EcoCenter
Historic Sea Scout Base image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 1, 2016
6. Historic Sea Scout Base
c. 1941
The Sea Scout Base was designed by architects Birge M. Clark and David B. Clark and gifted to the City of Palo Alto by philanthropist Lucie Stern.
The rehabilitation of this local historic landmark was completed in 2012 by the Environmental Volunteers (www.EVols.org).
Restoration funds for the distinctive front decks were provided by the County of Santa Clara Historical Heritage Commission and the Parks and Recreation Department.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   6. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement