Grand Isle in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
At Southernmost tip of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana's only inhabited barrier island appears in 18th century land-grants. At first part of Orleans Territory, but often administered by Lafourche Parish. Officially part of Jefferson Parish since 1825. Island and nearby Chenier Caminada devastated by 1856 and 1893 hurricanes. 19th century haven for writers Kate Chopin and Lafcadio Hearn. A fishing community, bird watchers' and sportsmen's paradise, and home of the International Grand Isle Tarpon Rodeo founded in 1928.
Erected 2010 by Jefferson Parish Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 14.567′ N, 89° 58.619′ W. Marker is in Grand Isle, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is on Route 1 east of Willow Lane, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Grand Isle Community Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3811 Louisiana Highway 1, Grand Isle LA 70358, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Livingston (here, next to this marker); 32 - Pounder (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Grand Isle (within Grand Isle, Louisiana (approx. 2 miles away); Cheniere Caminada Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Parish of Jefferson (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2016.