New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The State University of New Jersey
Kirkpatrick Chapel, designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (great-great-grandson of the first president of Rutgers, also the architect of Geology Hall), was built as a chapel and library. The library was removed in 1903, thus increasing the seating capacity in the Chapel from 300 to 600 persons. The Chapel is named for Sophia Astley Kirkpatrick of New Brunswick, whose bequest financed the building. The interior walls have traditionally displayed portraits of the presidents and other prominent leaders of Rutgers.
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
January 29, 1973
National Register of Historic Places
July 2, 1973
Location. 40° 29.93′ N, 74° 26.719′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from Somerset Street near George Street. Touch for map. This marker is on Kirkpatrick Chapel which is on the entrance drive of the Queens Campus of Rutgers University. Access can be gained by foot from several locations or by car from Somerset and George Streets. Marker is in this post office area: New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery (here, next to this marker); Geology Hall (a few steps from this marker); Daniel S. Schanck Observatory (within shouting distance of this marker); Queen’s Campus (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Queens (within shouting distance of this marker); Class of 1924 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Winants Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rutgers 9/11 Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
Also see . . . The Kirkpatrick Chapel. On the Rutgers University website. (Submitted on August 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 997 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. 2. submitted on January 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.