Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Town of Swartwout

 
 
Site of the Town of Swartwout Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, December 15, 2016
1. Site of the Town of Swartwout Marker
Inscription. 86 blocks and 2 public squares were laid out here in 1838 with James Morgan, Arthur Garner and Thomas Bradley as proprietors. Named in honor of Samuel Swartwout (1783-1856), New York speculator and politician who advanced funds in 1836 to the Texas government. Important steamboat landing before the Civil War and ferry crossing until 1930.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 10426.)
 
Location. 30° 38.324′ N, 95° 0.281′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is on County Route 1988 0.1 miles south of Rue du Lac, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. In front of Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Roads in Polk County (approx. mile away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. 6.3 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 6.4 miles away); Site of Old Andress Inn (was approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); 1905 Courthouse Annex
Church where the Town of Swartwout Marker is located today image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, December 15, 2016
2. Church where the Town of Swartwout Marker is located today
(approx. 6 miles away); Polk County (approx. 6 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
 
More about this marker. The town of Swartwout is today largely under Lake Livingston which was created by damming the Trinity River, the second largest river in Texas. This marker was moved to land before the lake filled. It is now on the property of Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
 
Regarding Site of the Town of Swartwout. Texas Ghost Town
Swartwout is considered a submerged Texas Ghost Town.

Locals call the town Swartout — omitting the W. The correct name is Swartwout after the man it was named for.

Swartwout was originally a ferry landing that became a river port. After there was no more need for the ferry and port almost everyone except black farm laborers moved away.
 
Also see . . .
1. Swartwout in the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Article about Swartwout. (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Article on Samuel Swartwout for whom the settlement was named. The town was named for him because of the financial aid he gave to the Texians during the Texas War for Independence from Mexico (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement