Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Klamath in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

UMC Indian Mission

Est 1876

 
 
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
1. UMC Indian Mission Marker
Inscription.
Built in part with lumber from abandoned
post at Fort Klamath. First pastor - Rev.
J. H. Roork. First board - Lisa and Alec
Wilson, David Hill and Seldon Kirk.

 
Erected 1982 by Klamath County Historical Society-klamath County Historical Landmark Commission.
 
Location. 42° 30.984′ N, 121° 55.148′ W. Marker is in Fort Klamath, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker can be reached from Modoc Point Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Klamath OR 97626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collier Memorial Logging Museum (approx. 8.9 miles away); Crystal Recreation Area (approx. 9 miles away); Denny Creek (approx. 10.3 miles away); The First Sawmill (approx. 12.4 miles away); Ft. Klamath Frontier Post (approx. 12.4 miles away); Site of Fort Klamath (approx. 12.6 miles away); Fort Klamath Military Cemetery Memorial (approx. 12.8 miles away); The Town of Fort Klamath (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Klamath.
 
More about this marker. Located in front of the Williamson River Indian Mission United Methodist Church
 
Regarding UMC Indian Mission.
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
2. UMC Indian Mission Marker
This historical marker is part of a series of historical 'T' markers located all around Klamath County and commissioned by the Klamath County Historical Society.


The Fort Klamath reference on the marker is to a former Fort Klamath army post that was located about 4-5 miles north of here. It was built by the government in 1863 for protection of incoming settlers into Klamath County from Indian attacks that were becoming more common at the time. The site is now a museum-park open seasonally during the year. The post was abandoned in the late 1880s.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionForts, CastlesNative Americans
 
UMC Indian Mission image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
3. UMC Indian Mission
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
4. UMC Indian Mission Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement