Fort Klamath in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The First Sawmill
near this site on Fort Creek in 1863 by the U.S. Army.
Erected 1992 by Klamath County Historical Society-Klamath County Historical Landmark Commission.
Location. 42° 41.475′ N, 121° 58.422′ W. Marker is in Fort Klamath, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker can be reached from Crater Lake Highway (Route 62). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Klamath OR 97626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ft. Klamath Frontier Post (a few steps from this marker); Site of Fort Klamath (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Klamath Military Cemetery Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Town of Fort Klamath (approx. 1.4 miles away); Collier Memorial Logging Museum (approx. 5.8 miles away); Crystal Recreation Area (approx. 9.8 miles away); UMC Indian Mission (approx. 12.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is one of many 'T' markers located throughout Klamath County. This marker is located within Fort Klamath County Park Museum and is only accessible during the months of mid-May through September.
Regarding The First Sawmill.
The United States Army brought the first sawmill into the county from Jacksonville, OR in 1863, that being the year "Old Fort Klamath" was established. It was a steam driven circular mill erected on the east side of Fort Creek opposite the site of the fort and probably had a capacity of two or three thousand feet per day. It is reported that the machinery was privately owned and that it was operated, either under lease or contract, until 1870. The mill was built to furnish lumber to the Indians and for various buildings in connection with the fort, which itself was constructed of logs. In 1870 the army brought in from Vancouver a fire box boiler and upright engine which had been taken out of one of their boats on the Columbia river and, with this equipment for power, built a new circular mill on the west side of Fort Creek at a point approximately east of the present Fort Klamath Junction. The mill did not operate very much at that location, probably because the one built at Klamath Agency the same year was more efficient and supplied the requirements of the Indians. The mill was moved to Yainax in 1893, where it operated until 1899, when it burned. The treaty establishing the Klamath Indian Reservation
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.