Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
Temple of the Ex-Convent of Santa Clara de Jesus
El templo fue construido por los indios. Se terminó en 1666 bajo la dirección del arquitecto José de Bayas Delgado.
Los retablos actuales de la nave son del siglo XVIII, el de San Juan Nepomuceno es obra de los ensambladores Luis Ramos Franco y Pedro José de Rojas, los demás del arquitecto Francisco Martínez Gudiño, así como la fachada del coro y el púlpito. El altar mayor data de 1845.
El convento sirvió de prisión a Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez en 1810.
Desde 1921 el templo es sede de la Parroquia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús.
Santiago de Querétaro, 13 de enero de 2007
IV Centenario de la Fundación.
Mina Ramírez Montes, Niñas, doncellas, vírgenes eternas: Santa Clara de Querétaro (1607-1864). Mexico, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Instituto de Investigaciones Estéticas, 2005.
Its founding in 1607 was sponsored by the Otomí chief Diego de Tapia and his daughter Luisa del Espíritu Santo. This building was inhabited by Clarist nuns from 1633 until the exclaustration of 1864.
The temple was built by Indians. It was finished in 1666 under the direction of the architect José de Bayas Delgado.
The current altarpieces of the nave are from the 18th century, the one of San Juan Nepomuceno is the work of Luis Ramos Franco and Pedro José de Rojas. The other altars are the work of architect Francisco Martínez Gudiño. He also built the facade of the choir and the pulpit . The main altar dates from 1845.
The convent served as a prison for Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez in 1810.
Since 1921 the temple is home to the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Santiago de Querétaro, January 13, 2007
IV Century of the Foundation.
Mina Ramírez Montes, Girls, maidens and eternal virgins: Santa Clara de Querétaro (1607-1864). Mexico, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Institute of Aesthetic Research, 2005.
Location. 20° 35.52′ N, 100° 23.658′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is on Calle Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 42 Calle Francisco I. Madero, Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple and former Convent of Santa Clara (a few steps from this marker); Fountain of Neptune (within shouting distance of this marker); Former hospital of San José de Gracia (within shouting distance of this marker); Vicente Guerrero Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Vicente Guerrero (within shouting distance of this marker); The House of the Marquesa (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Jardín Guerrero / Municipal Palace (about 90 meters away); Captain Julian Diaz House (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on August 21, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4, 5. submitted on December 8, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.