Bagdad in Santa Rosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bagdad After the Mill
The closing of the Bagdad Land & Lumber Company in 1939 brought the end of an era. The industry that had created the community was gone, and the residents of the village had to find ways to survive. There were other mills, plants, and businesses in nearby towns, such as the J.A. Chaffin & Company and the Bay Point Mill Company but none of them rivaled the size and influence of the Bagdad Mill. World War II helped improve the economy of Northwest Florida, and Bagdad prospered after President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited the Pensacola Naval Air Station in 1938. Whiting Field was built in 1943. After the war, the county helped upgrade Bagdad's infrastructure, including the construction of a concrete bridge over the Blackwater River. By the 1950s, the population in the village stabilized at about 1,000 residents. As the rest of the county and the city of Pensacola boomed residents continued to enjoy the charm of small-town life. The establishment of the University of West Florida in the late 1960s helped grow the county and the listing of Bagdad in 1987 on the National Register of Historic Places helped preserve the historic village. Bagdad's
The Bagdad Village Preservation Association
Established in 1986, the Bagdad Village Preservation Association, Inc. (BVPA) was founded to preserve, educate and further historical, cultural, and community affairs. The BVPA currently owns, maintains, and manages three historic structures: the Bagdad Village Museum (c. 1880), the Milligan House (c. 1910), and the Old Bagdad Post Office (c. 1900). The BVPA hosts a number of public events each year including lectures and community festivals.
Left, bottom: The BVPA museum
Center: Bridge leading to Bagdad, post WWII
Right, top: Workers watching last log sawed, 1939
Right, middle: Bagdad Elementary School
Erected 2016 by Bagdad Waterfronts Florida Partnership, Inc.
Location. 30° 36.311′ N, 87° 1.982′ W. Marker is in Bagdad, Florida, in Santa Rosa County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles east of Forsyth Street. Located within the Bagdad Mill Site Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6953 Main Street, Bagdad FL 32530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Architecture of Bagdad (within shouting distance of this marker); Animals Along the Blackwater River Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (within shouting distance of this marker); Bagdad Mill Site Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A New Century (about 300 feet away); The Longleaf Pine (about 300 feet away); Working for the Company (about 300 feet away); The Early History of Bagdad (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bagdad.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for Bagdad After the Mill.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.