Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bagdad in Santa Rosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Architecture of Bagdad

 
 
The Architecture of Bagdad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 17, 2016
1. The Architecture of Bagdad Marker
Inscription. The historic buildings in Bagdad embody the village's history and cultural heritage, reflecting various periods of growth, and telling an important story about how the town was developed. The village boasts a wide variety of architectural styles ranging from 1840s Greek Revival to 1920s bungalows. Most of the homes were built by the mill owners, and each change in mill ownership brought about a surge in construction in the architectural style that was most in favor at the time. During the E. E. Simpson period (1855-1866), the Greek Revival style was popular. Few buildings from this period remain since most of the village was destroyed during the Civil War. From 1866-1903, wood-frame Creole and Gulf Coast Cottages were dominant. The Chicago-based owners during the Stearns & Culver era (1903-1923) followed a few basic house plans, such as the Four-Square, Saltbox, and a two-story duplex known as the Double House. During the Bagdad Land & Lumber Company period (1922-1939), the expansion of the mill led to the construction of shotgun houses for the growing number of workers and bungalows for the superintendents, many of whom lived along Main Street.

The Thompson House
Among the oldest houses in Bagdad is the Thompson House, located at 4620 Forsyth Street. Built in the late 1850s by Benjamin W. Thompson, the house is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Of particular note are the door facings on the interior of the house, which are in the Egyptian Revival Temple of Luxor design. In October 1864 Union troops
The Architecture of Bagdad marker looking towards Bagdad Mill Site park entrance. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 17, 2016
2. The Architecture of Bagdad marker looking towards Bagdad Mill Site park entrance.
under the command of Colonel Andrew Spurling camped in the Thompson House and left graffiti, which can still be seen today, on the walls of the parlor and upstairs hall.

[Photo captions]
Left, bottom: Thompson House, 1850s
Center: Saltbox style
Right, top: First Methodist Church, Gothic Revival Style
Right, middle: Double house in Bagdad
Right, bottom: Duplex in Bagdad

 
Erected 2016 by the Bagdad Waterfronts Florida Partnership, Inc.
 
Location. 30° 36.293′ N, 87° 1.976′ W. Marker is in Bagdad, Florida, in Santa Rosa County. Marker can be reached from Main Street 0.1 miles from Forsyth Street. Touch for map. Located within the Bagdad Mill Site Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6953 Main Street, Bagdad FL 32530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bagdad After the Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Bagdad Mill Site Park (within shouting distance of this marker); A New Century (within shouting distance of this marker); The Longleaf Pine (within shouting distance of this marker); Animals Along the Blackwater River (within shouting distance of this marker); Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Early History of Bagdad (about 400 feet away); Working for the Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bagdad.
 
Categories. ArchitectureNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Thompson House on Forsyth Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 17, 2016
3. The Thompson House on Forsyth Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement