Keno in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Foot of Topsy Grade. Frain School just to the north.
Erected 1992 by Klamath County Historical Society-Klamath County Historical Landmark Commission.
Location. 42° 1.171′ N, 122° 5.99′ W. Marker is in Keno, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Topsy Grade Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keno OR 97627, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Topsy Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Kerwin Ranch (approx. 1.3 miles away); Freight and Stage Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Weyerhaeuser Camp 3 (approx. 7.3 miles away); Picard California (approx. 7.4 miles away in California); Bear Valley (approx. 8.8 miles away); Applegate Trail (approx. 8.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Applegate Trail (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keno.
More about this marker. This marker is one of many 'T' markers located throughout Klamath County.
Regarding "Robber's Rock.". The following is taken from Stephen Beckham's
Robbers found the Topsy Road attractive pickings. The mail and shipments of money-such as by Wells, Fargo & Company- attracted trouble. Among the documented incidents were the following:
• November, 1889, robbery of several thousands of dollars from the Wells, Fargo & Company "treasure box" about fifteen miles northeast of Ager.
• November, 1889, robbery of about $300 near the Lennox place near Shovel Creek.
• September, 1893, robbery of about $80 from passengers near McClintock's on Bogus Creek.
• September, 1893, robbery of about $90 from passengers on Bogus Creek.
• April, 1895, robbery of about $20 and one letter from the stage at the foot of Topsy Grade.
• June, 1895, robbery of$5.00 and mail east of Topsy.
• November, 1895, robbery leading to the shooting and capture of the robber near the Emmitt place two miles from Keno (Helfrich 1973 :52-62).
It should also be noted that Frain School mentioned on the marker has fallen victim to the elements and lies in a large, deteriorating wood pile.
Also see . . . Historical landscape overview of the upper Klamath River Canyon of Oregon and California (Submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.