Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keno in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Kerwin Ranch

1875-1903

 
 
Kerwin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, September 29, 2012
1. Kerwin Ranch Marker
Inscription.
A wayside stopping place on the Topsy Road between
Yreka - Ager and Linkville (Klamath Falls).

 
Erected by Klamath County Historical Society-Klamath County Historical Landmark Commission.
 
Location. 42° 0.769′ N, 122° 7.423′ W. Marker is in Keno, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Topsy Grade Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keno OR 97627, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Robber's Rock." (approx. 1.3 miles away); Topsy Station (approx. 2 miles away); Freight and Stage Road (approx. 7 miles away); Picard California (approx. 8.3 miles away in California); Weyerhaeuser Camp 4 (approx. 8.7 miles away); Applegate Trail (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bear Valley (approx. 10 miles away); Whittle's Ferry Site (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keno.
 
More about this marker. This marker is one of many 'T' markers located throughout Klamath County.
 
Regarding Kerwin Ranch. The following is taken from Stephen Beckham's Historical landscape overview of the upper Klamath
Kerwin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, September 29, 2012
2. Kerwin Ranch Marker
View of marker looking west along Topsy Grade Road
River Canyon of Oregon and California
(link below) to describe the former site of the Kerwin Ranch and it reads:

Well-liked, Irish immigrants, Henry and J. Kerwin operated a small farm in 1900 and, on occasion, took in travelers on the Topsy Road. The site lay west of Rock Creek and included a two story house on the south side of the road. The Kerwins had two sons, one who became a bit deranged over religious matters. Reportedly Kerwin was a hard worker but, on occasion, drank too much. The place was next owned by the Raymonds but was abandoned about 1922 (Bureau of the Census 1900a; Hutchinson 1976).

The Kerwin Ranch near Topsy Grade was one of the first areas logged for river driving timber. About 1889-90 loggers began cutting timber in this vicinity, dragged it to the Klamath River, and drove the logs to Klamath City (Klamathon).

Both hunting and fishing were amenities offered to tourists staying at Klamath Hot Springs (along the Klamath River). According to Alice Hessig, the Edsons employed George Cook and Henry Kerwin as guides for parties going on deer hunts up Shovel Creek. They also encouraged hunting for Indian artifacts and staged dances to keep their guests busy.

 
Also see . . .  Historical landscape overview of the upper Klamath River Canyon of Oregon and California. (Submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Kerwin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, September 29, 2012
3. Kerwin Ranch Marker
The tall, dead tree looks to have once been alive during the Kerwin Ranch days.

 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Kerwin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, September 29, 2012
4. Kerwin Ranch Marker
Distance shot of the Kerwin Ranch area. Nothing of the former ranch remains except for some old, wooden fence posts and rusted barbed wire.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement