Keno in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Weyerhaeuser Camp 4
1934 - 1954
Erected 1976 by Klamath County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 7.225′ N, 122° 12.753′ W. Marker is in Keno, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Green Springs Highway (Highway 66). Touch for map. This marker is one of many 'T' markers located throughout Klamath County. Marker is in this post office area: Keno OR 97627, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freight and Stage Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); Kerwin Ranch (approx. 8.7 miles away); Topsy Station (approx. 9 miles away); "Robber's Rock." (approx. 9.1 miles away); Applegate Trail (approx. 9½ miles away).
Regarding Weyerhaeuser Camp 4. The following is taken from Stephen Beckham's Historical landscape overview of the upper Klamath River Canyon of Oregon and California (link below) to describe Weyerhaeuser Company and its interest in this area and it reads:
Weyerhaeuser Timber Company's Logging Railroad
The Weyerhaeuser Timber Company began purchases of timberlands in Klamath County in the first decade of the twentieth century. In
To tap its great "West Block" of timber-holdings lying west of Klamath Falls and north of the Klamath River-the company began a program of constructing logging camps and railroads. First came Camp 2, a staging area west of Keno and southeast of Oatman Lake. In time the company erected Camp 3, a site a short distance northwest of Hayden Mountain. And finally it erected Camp 4, a site approximately twelve miles east of Parker Mountain and a short distance south of Highway 66. By 1929 the company had nineteen miles of railroad. The line ran southwest from the sawmill to Keno, wended its way along the north edge of the Klamath River Canyon, and fanned out with lines headed toward Round
The quality of construction of the line suggested to some that there was a hidden agendathe railroad would continue west to Butte Falls and join the Southern Pacific in the Rogue River Valley. The suspicions proved unfounded.
The Weyerhaeuser railroad was built to achieve efficiency in movement of log hauling. Workers laid lateral spurs from the mainline at approximately 3,000-foot intervals. This tactic meant that log skidding seldom exceeded 1,500 feet. The program meant, however, that over several years the company laced the Pokegama region with hundreds of miles of spur track that it laid down and then took up. The main line into the West Block ran for thirty-nine miles into eastern Jackson County. Weyerhaeuser operated the system for twenty-eight years. Finally, in 1956, sensing that the timber was largely cut and that truck hauling would be more efficient, the company abandoned the railroad and began its removal.
Also see . . . Historical landscape overview of the upper Klamath River Canyon of Oregon and California. (Submitted on December 9, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.