Gebouw Voor Kunst En Wetenschappen / Arts and Science Building
Built from 1845 to 1847 according to a design by city architect J. van Maurik. The building stands on the site of the choir of the late 11th-Century St. Mary's Church, the remains of which are preserved within the building. Robert Schumann and Johannes Brahms gave concerts here. In 1988, the building burned completely. Since then, its exterior has been restored to its original state.
Erected by The ANWB.
Location. 52° 5.381′ N, 5° 7.054′ E. Marker is in Utrecht, Utrecht. Marker is at the intersection of Springweg and Mariaplaats on Springweg. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Utrecht 3511, Netherlands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mariakerk / St. Mary's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal Paleis Lofen (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Paleis Lofen (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); In Het Voetspuur Van Sint Maarten / In the Footsteps of Saint Martin (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
Also see . . . Gebouw Voor Kunst En Wetenschappen (Wikipedia.nl). (In translation, follow link for original Dutch version:) Until 1813, St. Mary's Church, one of Utrecht's five collegiate churches, stood on the site of the current building. The church was demolished, but the choir remained until 1844, serving as a concert hall. In 1844, the construction began on the new neoclassical building, according to the design of Johannes van Maurik, and overseen by J.W. Dekker. (Submitted on December 9, 2016.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.