Groom in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Charles L. Fields
Came to Canadian in 1903; Groom, 1916. Traveled at times to ranch headquarters and to Ochiltree and Mobeetie, to patients unable to go to him. Often had to ford rivers, hauling his collapsible dental chair and foot-powered drill. Used iodine and laudanum as antiseptics and pain-killers. Operated his own denture lab. Met large demand for gold teeth. Often was paid in beef, produce.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1264.)
Location. 35° 12.114′ N, 101° 6.451′ W. Marker is in Groom, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is on Broadway north of 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Groom TX 79039, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. State National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Groom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jericho Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); Town of Goodnight (approx. 12.3 miles away); Charles Goodnight (approx. 12.4 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.6 miles away); Site of Old Goodnight Ranch (approx. 12.6 miles away).
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.