Saint Rose in Saint Charles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
After the Civil War in 1873, Palmer Elkins, a free man of color, purchased property, tracts 8, 9, & 10 for $943.50. Mr. Elkins was the President of the St. Mary Benevolent Association and helped to educate freed men of color. In 1880, he asked several freed men of color to rear their families and receive training for a living in Elkinsville, also known as Freetown.
James and Ellen Price
Location. 29° 56.554′ N, 90° 19.275′ W. Marker is in Saint Rose, Louisiana, in Saint Charles Parish. Marker is on River Road (State Highway 48) near 1st Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the levee at 1st Street terminus. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Rose LA 70087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Labranche Plantation Dependency (approx. ¾ mile away); Mule Barn Destrehan Manor House (approx. 2.7 miles away); George Prince Ferry Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Hale Boggs Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Saint Charles Borromeo Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Charles Borromeo "Little Red Church" (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named Hale Boggs Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2016.