Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Lauderdale in Broward County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The First Fort Lauderdale

 
 
The First Fort Lauderdale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, November 12, 2015
1. The First Fort Lauderdale Marker
Inscription. The prehistoric peoples of Fort Lauderdale, commonly known as the Tequesta, occupied camps as early as 500 BCE in the area now known as Sailboat Bend. By 1800, Seminole Indians and Bahamian and American settlers inhabited lands along New River. In January 1836, after the outbreak of the Second Seminole War, settler William Cooley’s family was killed by the Indians. In response to the incident and to seek out the Seminoles and their leader Sam Jones (Abiaca or Abiaki), U. S. Army Major General Thomas Jesup sent 200 mounted Tennessee Volunteers, commanded by Major William Lauderdale, from Jupiter to New River. They were accompanied by Lieutenant Robert Anderson with Company D, Third Artillery, and followed a route later known as "Military Trail." On March 6, 1838, the soldiers encamped on the north bank of New River at its forks. The new post was designated "Fort Lauderdale" after its commanding officer. Although active during its occupation, the garrison abandoned the fort by May 1838. Soldiers returning to reestablish Fort Lauderdale in February 1839 found that the fort’s blockhouse and stockade had been burned. They chose a site further down river, west of Tarpon Bend, for the second Fort Lauderdale.

A Florida Heritage Landmark

 
Erected 2011 by The City of Fort Lauderdale
The First Fort Lauderdale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz
2. The First Fort Lauderdale Marker
and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-722.)
 
Location. 26° 7.051′ N, 80° 9.36′ W. Marker is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in Broward County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest 4th Street, on the left when traveling south on Southwest 11th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 SW 11th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale FL 33312, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Side Grade School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lewis Family (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tequesta (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica 1899 School House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Fort Lauderdale Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonial Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away); Museum Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Oliver Building (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Lauderdale.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 86 times this year. Last updated on December 11, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement