Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Lauderdale in Broward County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oliver Building

Circa 1912

 
 
Oliver Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 1, 2016
1. Oliver Building Marker
Inscription. The façade is constructed in the same basic design configuration and from the actual bricks that existed on the west wall of the Oliver Building demolished in 1996. The original building was built in 1912 soon after most of Ft. Lauderdale's business district was destroyed by fire (Hence, the brick instead of wood). It was constructed to house the Oliver Brothers Company, a dry goods store owned by Frank, James and David Oliver, who arrived in 1895 from North Carolina, was one of the leading citizens of early Ft. Lauderdale. He was a partner in Stranahan & Company and had purchased the company just prior to the fire. The new building sat on the site of the Stranahan & Company Building.

Frank Oliver also built: The Keystone Hotel, the first theater in the City (the Dade); he was the President of the first bank in Ft. Lauderdale; member of the Dade County Commission (prior to the creation of Broward County), and was a ft. Lauderdale City Commissioner.

The Oliver Building was larger than was needed for Oliver Brothers Company, and much of the building was rented to other businesses. The 1918 city directory (the first published) lists the following companies: Tyler's Confectionery; Oliver Brothers; Beck's Pharmacy; Guy Phipps news dealer; D.C. Alexander real estate; Broward Grocery Co.; C.C. Rodes seeds; R.W. Burch, D.D.S.;
Oliver Building image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 1, 2016
2. Oliver Building
George W. Hall & Co., insurance; W.I. Evans, attorney; T.F. Evans, attorney; T.F. Moore & Son, vegetable broker; and Oliver Hall. By 1924, Oliver Brothers Company had been renamed the Pioneer Department Store, and in 1926 it relocated to the southeast corner of Las Olas Boulevard and SE First Avenue (present location of the News & Sun Sentinel). Business activity on Brickell Avenue declined as Andrews Avenue became the city's main street. Still over the years, a number of businesses were located in the Oliver Building: the postal Cable Company and then Western Union (37 years); the Miami Herald Bureau; Poinsettia Printing (45 yrs.); several furniture stores; the War Manpower Commission; the State Employment Service; hardware and supply shops; the Riverview Apartments (30 years); and Thompson's Office Supplies (27 years).
 
Location. 26° 7.131′ N, 80° 8.643′ W. Marker is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in Broward County. Marker can be reached from West Las Olas Boulevard east of Brickell Avenue/Southwest 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is in an alley between two buildings. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Lauderdale FL 33301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Museum Building
Oliver Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 1, 2016
3. Oliver Building Marker
(about 500 feet away); Old Fort Lauderdale Village (about 600 feet away); Replica 1899 School House (about 700 feet away); Fort Lauderdale, Florida. (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Stranahan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ivy Julia Cromartie Stranahan (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lewis Family (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Lauderdale.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement