Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
A National Cemetery System
An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. This propelled the creation of a national cemetery system.
On September 11, 1861, the War Department directed commanding officers to keep "accurate and permanent records of deceased soldiers." It also required the U.S. Army Quartermaster General, the officer responsible for administering to the needs of troops in life and in death, to mark each grave with a headboard. A few months later, the department mandated interment of the dead in graves marked with numbered headboards, recorded in a register.
Creating National Cemeteries
The authority to create military burial grounds came in an Omnibus Act of July 17, 1862. It directed the president to purchase land to be used as "a national cemetery for the soldiers who shall die in the service of the country." Fourteen national cemeteries were established by 1862.
When hostilities ended, a grim task began. In October 1865, Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs directed officers to survey lands in the Civil War theater to find Union dead and plan to reinter them in new national cemeteries. Cemetery
Most cemeteries were less than 10 acres, and layouts varied. In the Act to Establish and to Protect National Cemeteries of February 22, 1867, Congress funded new permanent walls or fences, grave markers, and lodges for cemetery superintendents.
At first only soldiers and sailors who died during the Civil War were buried in national cemeteries. In 1873, eligibility was expanded to all honorably discharged Union veterans, and Congress appropriated $1 million to mark the graves. Upright marble headstones honor individuals whose names were known; 6-inch square blocks mark unknowns.
By 1873, military post cemeteries on the Western frontier joined the national cemetery system. The National Cemeteries Act of 1973 transferred 82 Army cemeteries, including 12 of the original 14, to what is now the National Cemetery Administration.
Reflection and Memorialization
The country reflected upon the Civil War's human toll - 2 percent of the U.S. population died. Memorials honoring war service were built in national cemeteries. Most were donated by regimental units, state governments and veterans' organizations
Erected by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - National Cemetery Administration.
Location. 35° 58.583′ N, 83° 55.617′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Tyson Street south of Bernard Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the north corner within the Knoxville National Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 939 Tyson Street, Knoxville TN 37917, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knoxville National Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Old Gray Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Old Gray Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Southern Railway Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Vinnies Italian Restaurant Civil War Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); Market House Bell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Knoxville's Market House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
Also see . . . National Cemetery Administration - Knoxville National Cemetery. (Submitted on December 18, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 5, 6. submitted on January 14, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.