Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Mary’s City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Entrance to First State House of Maryland

 
 
Entrance to First State House of Maryland Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
1. Entrance to First State House of Maryland Marker
Inscription. In memory of Nicholas Young of St. Mary’s Co. Maryland, elected to the House of Burgesses Nov 30, 1665.

Boxwood dedicated June 13, 1932, and tablet placed through Maj. William Thomas Chapter, D.A.R. by Delia Harris Maddox, Ann Delia Power Yellman, decendants.
 
Erected 1932 by the Maj. William Thomas Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Maryland, Saint Mary's City marker series.
 
Location. 38° 11.244′ N, 76° 26.148′ W. Marker is in St. Mary’s City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5). Touch for map. It is at the Trinity Episcopal Church cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47477 Trinity Church Road, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First State House of Maryland ( here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Entrance to First State House of Maryland ( a few steps from this marker); John Llewellyn ( a few steps from this marker); Here Lyeth The Body ( a few steps from this marker); Leonard Calvert ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Landing of the Ark and the Dove ( within shouting distance of this marker); Laura Maryland Carpenter Blinn ( within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish ( within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Allen Senior ( within shouting distance of this marker); The St. Mary’s Chapel ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary’s City.
 
Also see . . .  The History of the Maryland State House. (Submitted on May 6, 2007.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
Marker and Boxwood image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
2. Marker and Boxwood
The “First State House of Maryland” marker can be seen on the left. One of the twelve stone markers that mark the outline of the original building is on the right.
Replica of the First State House image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
3. Replica of the First State House
The entrance faces the water. The replica was built a few dozen yards east, since the original location is now a cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,620 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on April 22, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement