Volkach, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus / St. Bartholomew's Parish Church
1413 legte Volkach den Grundstein zu einer Chorkirche, in der alle bisherigen Altarstiftungen Platz finden sollten. Geweiht wurde die Kirche St. Bartholomäus und St. Georg. Der Langhausbau begann 1472; noch im Jahr 1504 standen dort überall Baukräne. Erst nach über 100 Jahren Bauzeit konnte 1517 abschließend der Stadtturm vollendet werden. Den Innenraum der Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus prägt heute eine Ausgestaltung im Stil des Hochbarock nach 1750. So verbinden sich Elemente spätgotischer Sakralarchitektur mit dem Formenreichtum des fränkischen Barock und Rokoko und spiegeln die bewegte Geschichte der Volkacher Pfarrkirche wider.
Volkach's first parish church was located outside of the town on the Altenberg (hill),now known as "Kirchberg", where masses, baptisms, and burials were held. However, a parish church within the city walls was to be consecrated
In 1413, the cornerstone for the choir of the church was laid, already existing pieces were installed, and the Church of St. Bartholomew and St. George was consecrated. Construction of the nave began in 1472, but even as late as the year 1504 there were still cranes everywhere. It was only after more than 100 years of construction that the bell tower was completed in 1517. The current interior of St. Bartholomew is characterized by a High Baroque style design, post-1750. Thus elements of Late Gothic sacral architecture are combined with the rich forms of the Franconian Baroque and Rococo styles, reflecting the changing history of Volkach's parish church.
Erected by Stadt Volkach.
Location. 49° 51.917′ N, 10° 13.583′ E. Marker is in Volkach, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Kirchgasse and Hauptstrasse on Kirchgasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Kirchgasse 2, Volkach, Bavaria 97332, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Von Rechtswegen über das Menschenblut zu richten / A Legal Process Driven by Human Blood Bei einem Backofen / At the Baker's Oven (about 150 meters away); Peter Ochs, Metzler / Peter Ochs, the Butcher (about 150 meters away); Und Davor ein Kapellchen und Almosenstock / And for that a Chapel and Begging Stick (about 150 meters away); Peter Geist (about 150 meters away); Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Wald um Rimbach / The Woods around Rimbach (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); Dettelbach City Hall (approx. 8.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Volkach.
Also see . . . St. Bartholomäus und St. Georg , Volkach (Wikipedia). The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Bartholomew and St. Georg is located in Volkach's old town center, in the Bavarian county of Kitzingen. It is one of the high points of this Lower-Franconian small town, and stands out as a prominent landmark within the winegrowing area of the "Mainschleife" (a large loop or oxbow on the Main River). Follow link for the original (Submitted on December 23, 2016.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 23, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.