Oxon Hill Maryland in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Farm for St. Elizabeths, 1891-1950
For nearly 70 years, the land around you was a hospital farm. St. Elizabeths Hospital bought the property in 1891 to produce food for its evergrowing number of patients. The hospital was founded in 1855 to care for mentally ill people from Washington, D.C., and the U.S. military.
St. Elizabeths was a bold project for its time. It was originally designed to hold 250 patients in the world's most modern hospital for the mentally ill. But before the first building was even completed, the outbreak of the Civil War forced the government to use much of the new hospital for wounded soldiers By the end of the war, 600 patients were crammed into the hospital. The number reached 718 by 1875. In the 1940s, the hospital complex covered more than 300 acres and housed some 7,000 patients.
Much of the farm machinery around Oxon Hill Farm dates from the St. Elizabeths era.
Location. 38° 48.104′ N, 77° 0.319′ W. Marker is in Oxon Hill Maryland, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Oxon Hill Bike Trail. Touch for map. In Oxon Hill Farm Park. Marker is in this post office area: Oxon Hill MD 20745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Oxon Cove Park and Oxon Hill Farm (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); War All Around (about 300 feet away); Sweet Sorghum (about 500 feet away); Two Centuries of Farm Buildings (about 600 feet away); Why a Brick Stable? (about 700 feet away); Root Cellar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheat and Tobacco (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burning of Washington, D.C. (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 126 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on December 25, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.