Ponte Vedra Beach in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort San Diego
In 1736 Diego de Espinosa owned a cattle ranch on Diego Plains, a flat, open area east of here. For protection against Indians, his house was surrounded by a 15-foot high palisade with two bastions at opposite corners. Manned later by Spanish soldiers, this post was known as Fort San Diego. On May 23, 1740, during the British expedition against St. Augustine, General James Oglethorpe’s 400 man army captured the fort and its 50 defenders. The British added a ditch and breastwork, and used the fort to protect the St. Johns River-St. Augustine supply line. They evacuated the fort on July 25. By 1743 it lay in ruins.
Erected 1973 by St. Johns Historical Commission in Cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-216.)
Location. 30° 9.791′ N, 81° 23.395′ W. Marker is in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on Landrum Lane 0.3 miles west of Palm Valley Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is near entrance to Alice B. Landrum Middle School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 Landrum Lane, Ponte Vedra Beach FL 32082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 30° 8' North Latitude (approx. 4.2 miles away); World War II Operation Pastorius / St. Johns County (approx. 5˝ miles away); First Settlers At Ruby, Florida (approx. 8.7 miles away); Beaches Museum Chapel (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mayport Depot (approx. 8.7 miles away); Doolittle's 1922 Record Flight (approx. 8.7 miles away); Pablo Beach FEC Foreman's House (approx. 8.7 miles away); Oesterreicher-McCormick Homestead (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ponte Vedra Beach.
More about this marker. Marker is in excellent condition. Both sides of the marker are identical.
Regarding Fort San Diego. There are no visible remains of the fort at this site.
Also see . . .
1. Siege of St. Augustine (1740).
In May 1740, Oglethorpe undertook an expedition to capture St. Augustine itself. In support of that objective, Oglethorpe first captured Fort San Diego, Fort Picolotta and Fort Mose, the first free black settlement in America. (Submitted on December 24, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The 1740 Expedition Against St. Augustine.
The expedition reached the south shore of Florida's St. John's River, the last water obstacle in its quest, then marched half way to St. Augustine before stopping for the night. The next day the invaders took Fort St. Diego, an outpost four hours march from St. Augustine. (Submitted on December 24, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.