Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moravia in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oldest House in Moravia

 
 
Oldest House in Moravia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Pat Filippone, August 27, 2016
1. Oldest House in Moravia Marker
Inscription. The kitchen of this house is the original cabin built by Gershom Morse in 1794.
 
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 42.373′ N, 76° 25.248′ W. Marker is in Moravia, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53 South Main Street, Moravia NY 13118, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cady Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millard Fillmore (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Mill (approx. 7.4 miles away); Site of Glen Haven House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Terrence C. Graves Monument (approx. 8.4 miles away); Glen Haven (approx. 8 miles away); Steeple Bell (approx. 10.4 miles away); Borodino Hall (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moravia.
 
Also see . . .  Historic and Architectural Resources of Village of Moravia, N.Y. (National Park Service). A 1992 inventory created with for the purposes of delineating historic districts in the town. "There are few intact examples of architecture in the village which reflect the initial period of settlement. Portions of the Morse farmhouse and the Cotton Spinner House may container remnants of early cabins built in the 1790's or 1800's.", (p. E2); "Gershom Morse...purchased land in the southern part of the village in 1794. Like Stoyell, Morse was a prominent citizen, a large landowner, farmer, and Justice of the Peace. His house still stands on South Main Street. The main block of the house, built c. 1830, retains significant detailing in
Oldest House in Moravia image. Click for full size.
By Pat Filippone, August 27, 2016
2. Oldest House in Moravia
the interior, and incorporates a rear ell which is believed to contain Morse's original cabin.", (p. E2-3, see also pp. F5-6).

The accuracy of the the marker title, "Oldest House...", as well the neighboring house's commercial title, "Oldest House in Moravia B&B", may be one of interpretation - see - Ship of Theseus for different perspectives. As to the B&B's claims to being the "oldest", dating back to 1794 according to their Facebook page, it should be noted that there is seemingly nothing within the NPS document to support that claim. (Submitted on December 26, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Different house?
Believe the "Oldest House in Moravia" is now a B&B at 52 S. Main St., across the street from photo #2, and behind some trees. See: link for Tour Cayuga County - Where to Stay - for photo and B&B listing. Its name is actually "Oldest House in Moravia B & B".
    — Submitted December 25, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Oldest House in Moravia. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement