Lambertville Outlet Lock
This structure was built in 1848, fourteen years after the D&R Canal was opened, and was abandoned in 1912. During the peak years of operation for canals in Eastern United States, the two decades following the Civil War, this cable system was in constant use from the earliest morning until nightfall. In 1868 the Lambertville Beacon reported an average of 31 boats per day crossed the Delaware River via this cable. The mules were led up to the New Hope/Lambertville Bridge, crossed the river and then came clomping through town to be re-connected to the boats.
Boats were connected to the cable at an angle to the current (with the bow end of the boat upstream of the stern) so that the force of the current would propel the boat across
The Belvidere-Delaware Railroad crossed the outlet lock on a fixed bridge that was high enough for boats to pass under.
The dam across the Delaware River downstream of this crossing was built to provide power to the Union Paper Mill in New Hope, to supply water to the lower half of the Delaware Canal and to make a pool in the Delaware River to facilitate the canal boat crossing.
The widening of the D&R Canal at this location was created to allow boats the room to make the 90 degree turn into the Outlet Lock and to provide room for boats to wait their turn for the crossing.
Erected by New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Location. 40° 21.525′ N, 74° 56.655′ W. Marker is in Lambertville, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Delaware and Raritan State Park Trail. Touch for map. At western terminus of Mt. Hope Street, walk left on Delaware & Raritan Canal Tow Path. Marker is a few hundred feet down the towpath, on the right, downslope from the towpath. Marker is in this post office area: Lambertville NJ 08530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lambertville Railroad Shops (approx. ¼ mile
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2016, by Russell Galen of Lambertville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 26, 2016, by Russell Galen of Lambertville, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.