Dundee in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dundee's Old Mill
Sybrant Van Nest made it into a grist mill in 1832, and Alfred Wilkerson built the present three story mill about 1866.
Henry Ford restored and enlarged the mill in 1935, making Dundee's old mill the first of Ford's little factories.
Wolverine Fabricating & Manufacturing Company purchased the mill in 1954 and operated it until September 1970. On December 3, 1970, the Wolvering Company sold the mill and 13.8 acres of land to the Village of Dundee for $1.00, to be used and preserved for Dundee's future generations.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 57.32′ N, 83° 39.544′ W. Marker is in Dundee, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Toledo Street and West Monroe Street (Michigan Highway 50), on the right when traveling south on Toledo Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 Toledo Street, Dundee MI 48131, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are Dundee - Hub of the Highways (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. 10.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. 10.3 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 14 miles away); "War" With Happy Ending (approx. 14.4 miles away).
Also see . . . History of The Dundee Old Mill. (Submitted on January 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 131 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.