Princeton Township in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Hugh Mercer
Born in Scotland about 1720. Educated as a physician. Emigrated to America 1747. Was appointed by Congress June 5, 1776, a brigadier general in the American Army. Was mortally wounded at the Battle of Princeton January 3, 1777, and died in the house now standing near this spot January 12, 1777. This tablet was erected by Mercer Engine Company No 3 of Princeton, N.J., October 1, 1897, at its semi-centennial celebration.
Erected 1897 by Mercer Engine Company No 3 of Princeton, N.J.
Location. 40° 19.758′ N, 74° 40.506′ W. Marker is in Princeton Township, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Touch for map. This marker is in the middle of a large open area in the Princeton Battlefield State Park, close to the Thomas Clarke House. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From Trenton to Princeton (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Clarke House (within shouting distance of this marker); The British Occupation of New Jersey (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Moulder’s Battery Welcome to the Institute Lands (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Route of Washington’s March (about 700 feet away); Stony Brook Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mercer Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton Township.
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 9, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. 2. submitted on February 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on April 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on February 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.