Bay Minette in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Bay Minette, Alabama
In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile and Great Northern Railroad from Pollard to Tensaw Landing. With some effort, this was finished November 15, 1861. The settlers on Minette Bay, south of Bay Minette's current location recognized the importance of the railroad and moved to a high level spot near the center of the county. This place promised to be good for agriculture, and its location on the railroad boded well for industry. Minette Bay and Bay Minette are named for the French surveyor Minette. On October 1, 1901, the Alabama Legislature named Bay Minette the county seat due to its centralized location. The old county seat at Daphne refused to surrender the records and men from Bay Minette literally stole them in the middle of the night.
Although Bay Minette was the county seat, it was not incorporated until 1907. In that same year, the Fort Morgan Railroad was completed from Bay Minette to Foley. It was soon sold to the L&N Railroad and operated until 1984. The railroads opened up the center and eastern sides of the county with Bay Minette as the nexus of rail operations. Bay Minette became the center of industry and transportation for the county and the center of agriculture for North Baldwin County. Bay Minette is still the center of industry and agriculture in Baldwin County and with the addition of the nearby interstate highway and roads leading in every direction from the county
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Bay Minette.
Location. 30° 52.941′ N, 87° 46.589′ W. Marker is in Bay Minette, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on West 2nd Street east of McMillan Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at the Bay Minette Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 West 2nd Street, Bay Minette AL 36507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bay Minette Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Baldwin County Eternal Flame Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Harry Toulmin (about 700 feet away); A County Older Than the State, Baldwin County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bottle Creek Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy Mill, c.1811 (approx. 7.7 miles away); Major Robert Farmar Plantation (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Mound Line (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay Minette.
More about this marker. Marker was moved from the circular garden area in the middle of the plaza, to a place next to the West 2nd Street parking spots, near where a large tree was removed.
Regarding Bay Minette, Alabama. Jean-Baptiste Minet, for whom Bay Minette is named, was a French engineer and cartographer.
Also see . . .
1. Encyclopedia of Alabama article on the history of Bay Minette. (Submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. A Texas State Historical Association article about Jean-Baptiste Minet. (Submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 15, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.