Dames Ferry in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Zachariah Booth owned and operated the first ferry here. It was probably built by George and John Dame. John Brooking Dame married two of Booth's daughters. First Polly in 1811, then Mildred in 1815. He also bought Booth`s Ferry in 1838. A community grew up around this ferry and was called "Dames Ferry."
Dames Ferry had several stores, a church, homes, school, bank, a grist and planer mill, a U.S. Post Office (1884-1958) and a Central of Georgia Railroad depot.
The ferry and a fishery was operated by the Dames until it was sold to S.M. Hodge in 1872. The ferry was replaced by Sam A. Hodge bridge in 1962. The ferry was moved to Macon County in 1964 to become Georgia's last operating public ferry.
Erected 1986 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 102-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 1.518′ N, 83° 44.279′ W. Marker is in Dames Ferry, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Juliette GA 31046, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Planterís Academy (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 8.4 miles away); Sunshine Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); Sunshine Church II (approx. 9.1 miles away); Clinton Methodist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Samuel Griswold (approx. 10.6 miles away); Shermanís Right Wing (approx. 10.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Stoneman Raid (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Bridges & Viaducts • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,881 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on January 27, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the bridge which replaced the ferry. • Photo of the ferry site (boat ramp). • Can you help?