Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Apalachicola in Franklin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Hanserd-Fry House

 
 
The Hanserd-Fry House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 27, 2016
1. The Hanserd-Fry House Marker
Inscription. Constructed ca. 1845, the Hanserd-Fry House is one of Apalachicola's finest examples of Palladian Greek Revival style architecture. The well-preserved house features a symmetrical porch with Tuscan classical columns typical of the Greek Revival style, floor to ceiling windows, and a central hall, four-room plan. The building's earliest known owner was Joseph Hanserd, who owned the house as early as 1866. Kate W. Ayers acquired the house from Hanserd in 1872. Captain Weber Fry, a riverboat captain on the Apalachicola River, bought the house in 1880. During the twentieth century, Dr. August E. Center, a physician revered by the town's residents, lived in the house for several decades. The non-profit Historic Apalachicola Foundation, Inc. purchased the house in 1995. In an award-winning restoration recognized by the Florida Trust for Preservation in 2008, the organization returned the house to its original appearance, removing a later front porch and rear additions. From 2006 to 2016, the Hanserd-Fry House served as the Apalachicola Museum of Art.
 
Erected 2016 by June and Richard Dosik, Michaelin and David Watts of Bring Me a Book, Historical Apalachicola Foundation, Marie and Willoughby Marshall and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-908.)
 
Location.
The Hanserd-Fry House (now the St. Vincent Island National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters) image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 27, 2016
2. The Hanserd-Fry House (now the St. Vincent Island National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters)
29° 43.609′ N, 84° 59.205′ W. Marker is in Apalachicola, Florida, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Avenue F, on the left when traveling north on 5th Street. Touch for map. This was the former location of the Apalachicola Museum of Art. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96 5th Street, Apalachicola FL 32320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Episcopal Church South (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dr. Alvan W. Chapman House (about 300 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola (about 700 feet away); The Raney House (about 700 feet away); Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards (about 700 feet away); Dr. John Gorrie (about 700 feet away); When the River Was King! (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apalachicola.
 
Categories. Architecture
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 124 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement