Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Nelmar Terrace Historic District

 
 
Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
1. Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker Side 1
Inscription. (side 1)
The Nelmar Terrace area has been the site of portions of a Timucuan Indian village, a plantation under British Governor James Grant in the 1770s, and parcels of Spanish land grants after 1784. From 1844-1869 the area was the southern part of the plantation owned by Florida Supreme Court Justice Thomas Douglas. During St. Augustine's Henry Flagler era, Dr. J.K. Rainey, a preeminent physician, acquired the Douglas Plantation and platted it in 1886. It was re-platted in 1913 following its purchase by C.M. Fuller and L. Orin Larson, who were among the most prominent developers in St. Augustine. They named the area Nelmar Terrace after Fuller's two daughters, Nellie and Mary. Marketed as an exclusive, upscale, suburban neighborhood, lots were among the largest in the city with deed restrictions and subdivision regulations, which controlled the design and quality of construction. By 1914 a trolley line ran up San Marco Avenue from downtown to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and served as a catalyst for development of this prestigious subdivision in the North City area during World War I and the 1920s Florida land boom.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Between 1914 and 1930 the quality of design and construction was among the best in the
Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
2. Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker Side 2
city. Construction receded during the Great Depression, but renewed after World War II. "Los Robles" at 24 Nelmar Avenue, designed by California architect Wallace Neff, is an outstanding example of Spanish Revival style. On the water are two excellent examples of Mediterranean Revival architecture: "Los Cedros," built for L.O. Larson at 30 Nelmar Avenue; and 27 Milton Street, built for Sidney Harrison, the secretary/treasurer of the Flagler's Model Land Tract. Larson's house became the home of composer Sidney Homer and opera diva Louise Homer, and then of Adjutant General Vivian Collins. Harrison's house became the home of St. Augustine Mayor O.D. Wolfe, and then of the president of the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. The Moorish Revival castle at 16 May Street was the home and studio to sculptor C. Adrian Pillars. Fine examples of Georgian and Dutch Colonial Revival, Spanish Revival, Tudor, Craftsman, and Bungalow style are located throughout the neighborhood. The Nelmar Terrace Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 for architecture and its role in St. Augustine's development.
 
Erected 2016 by The Nelmar Terrace Neighborhood Association and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-911.)
 
Location. 29° 54.664′ 
Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker looking east into park. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
3. Nelmar Terrace Historic District Marker looking east into park.
N, 81° 18.997′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Nelmar Avenue and Magnolia Avenue when traveling east on Nelmar Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Nelmar Terrace Park. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gault Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park (approx. mile away); The Old St. Johns County Jail (approx. mile away); First Spanish Muster Site in Florida (approx. mile away); The 1910 Mary Peck House (approx. mile away); Chain Gangs (approx. mile away); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (approx. mile away); The Francis and Mary Usina Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
Nelmar Terrace Historic District looking west on Nelmar Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
4. Nelmar Terrace Historic District looking west on Nelmar Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 167 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement