Elk Point in Union County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lewis & Clark camped here and said much ‘elk sign’ on August 22, 1804 and held first election in northwest that evening. In 1856, the Sioux City-Ft. Randall Military Road passed hereby. Eli Wixson arrived on 22 July 1859 and built a log cabin for travelers and trade store for Indians. In 1860, John R. Wood and family arrived as did George Stickney, first attorney. Cole County (now Union) was created in 1862 and Elk Point became third county seat by popular vote in April, 1865. In March, 1861, Wood & Sheldon hauled logs for Episcopal Church organized by Melanchton Hoyt. Wixson was first postmaster 9 July 1860 and by 1862 had a two-story hotel where the militia rendezvoused in the Indian scare of 1862. This group, with 61 of its 90 members from Elk Point, became Company B. Dakota Cavalry under Captain William Tripp. N.J. Wallace taught first school in 1861-62. Fairchild & Green had first regular store in 1865. Village organized April 24, 1862, John R. Wood, Eli B. Wixson, Myron Sheldon, W.W. Adams and Preston M. Hotchkiss Trustees. It was incorporated by the legislature, by a 23-page act, January 10, 1873. The Leader, Edited by F.O. Wisner, 3/17/70 was first newspaper. The first child was a son of Joseph LaBarge in 1861. J.W. Hoffman had first flour mill in 1873, succeeded by M.W. Sheafe’s
Erected 1966 by Elk Point Chamber of Commerce and the South Dakota State Highway Commission.
Location. 42° 41.222′ N, 96° 41.176′ W. Marker is in Elk Point, South Dakota, in Union County. Marker is on Main Street west of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is in front of the old gym which is now the Elk Point Athletic Club. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Point SD 57025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite (approx. 0.4 miles away); Entering an Uncertain Land (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Land of Plenty (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Democracy Crosses the Mississippi River (approx. half a mile away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Brule (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elk Point.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.