Valmy in Humboldt County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Treaty Hill to the northwest marks a division point between the Paiute lands to the west and Shoshone lands to the east. For generations the scene of battles over two springs, Treaty Hill marks the site where peace was wrought by compromise, when two chiefs sat down and divided springs and territory between the warring tribes.
The first postoffice here was established as Stonehouse on November 26, 1890. The name was changed to Valmy March 24, 1915.
Erected 1971 by Neveda State Park System, Eugene & Julie Digrazia. (Marker Number 167.)
Location. 40° 47.328′ N, 117° 7.715′ W. Marker is in Valmy, Nevada, in Humboldt County. Marker is on the rest area at Exit 216 (Interstate 80), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valmy NV 89438, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Mountain (approx. 14.4 miles away).
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The marker has been amended to add information on the Battle of Valmy and to remove the reference of Valmy as a section point. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 9, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.