Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
Former Town of Fogartyville
This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), John and William. Ample timber supplies for shipbuilding and access to Coastal schooner trade attracted the Fogartys to settle between here and McLewis Bayou. Prior to being incorporated into Braidentown (now Bradenton) in 1903, it had a large general store (built and operated by Capt. Tole), dairy, small bakery, two churches and a cemetery. All that remains now are the cemetery and home Capt. Tole built on the Manatee River in 1871.
Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
Wilhelmsenburg was bound on the west by 26th Street (Sarasota Avenue) and south by Manatee Avenue. John P. Wilhelmsen (Willemsen), first settler west of Ware's Creek, founded the town giving land for its first public school, the Wilhelmsen Academy, and the County's first Episcopal Church, Christ Episcopal Church. The 1889 Church stood on the south corner of 26th Street at 3rd Avenue adjoined on the south by the 1887 Academy. North of the marker is the site of John Graham's Manatee Light and Traction Company's turning dock for the trolley which connected Main Street, Manatee
Erected 1986 by Manatee County Historical Society.
Location. 27° 29.999′ N, 82° 35.249′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverview Boulevard West and 26th Street West Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Riverview Boulevard West. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 9th Avenue West Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Carnegie Library (approx. ¾ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton (approx. ¾ mile away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); Adams and Rogers Cemeteries (approx. one mile away); Palmetto (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 107 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?