Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mulberry in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pierce

 
 
Pierce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 16, 2017
1. Pierce Marker
Inscription. On this site stood the phosphate mining town of Pierce. It was one of many company-owned mining towns and villages that once populated Polk County. Pierce was started in April 1906 by the Pierce Phosphate Company. This company was acquired in October 1906 by the American Agricultural Chemical Company, which owned and operated the town until it was disbanded in 1954-55. Pierce was one of the largest mining towns in Bone Valley, with more than 1,000 residents by 1940. In addition to a drying plant for the phosphate mined nearby, Pierce had houses, schools, a church, a commissary, and a hospital for the company's workers and their families. Housing and utilities were provided to residents for a modest monthly fee. Such mining towns were necessary in the early days of Bone Valley phosphate mining, since there were few roads and few automobiles. By the 1950s, workers could commute to their jobs, and the mining towns ceased to be necessary.
 
Erected 2015 by The Polk County Historical Commission and Friends of Pierce. (Marker Number PCHC-018.)
 
Location. 27° 49.824′ N, 81° 58.235′ W. Marker is near Mulberry, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on Old State Road 37 N 0.3 miles south of Pebbledale Road, on the left
Pierce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 16, 2017
2. Pierce Marker
Looking north on Old Hwy 37.
when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5000 Old State Highway 37 North, Mulberry FL 33860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mulberry Tree (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Mulberry Time Capsule (approx. 4.4 miles away); Historical Citrus Planting (approx. 4.4 miles away); Phosphate Area War Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Cecil B. Strange (approx. 4 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mann Manor (approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of Fort Blount (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mulberry.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Bone Valley image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 17, 2017
3. Bone Valley
This picture, taken during the 1930s, exhibits why this area of Polk County is referred to as Bone Valley. The men are standing just across the road from the current location of the Pierce Marker and holding a 26' mastodon tusk. Picture Courtesy; Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library, Bartow, Florida.
Moving Out image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 17, 2017
4. Moving Out
Picture from The Lakeland Ledger. May 25, 1954. Pierce File; The Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library. Bartow, Florida.
Rolling Hills image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 16, 2017
5. Rolling Hills
This is possibly one of the homes moved from Pierce less than a mile south currently in the community of Rolling Hills.
Brewster, Florida image. Click for full size.
By Dean Moss McCracken, January 16, 2017
6. Brewster, Florida
This smoke stack is all that is left of another abandoned mining town five miles south of Pierce.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 243 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement