Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison
The Palmetto Baptist Church was organized on January 5, 1892, and a few months later its first building was erected on this site. The Reverend R.H. Whitehead, under whose leadership the church was constituted, became its first pastor. Dr. M.B. Harrison and W.H. Harrison were elected deacons. They also were named trustees, together with John W. Mitchell, M.C.Davis, and W.M. Rowlett. There were 22 charter members, 18 of who transferred from the Benevolence Baptist Church, then located on Frog Creek several miles north of Ellenton. The original frame structure was replaced by the present brick building in 1926.
Dr. M.B. Harrison
Micajah Berry Harrison (1844-1912) was a native of Greenville County, South Carolina. He served 4 years in Hampton's Cavalry, CSA, and took part in 29 battles. He was a graduate of the South Carolina Medical College. Dr. Harrison moved to Alachua County, Florida, in 1875, to Oak Hill (Parrish) in 1880, and to Palmetto in 1889. He bought the house across the street in 1890, and resided there until his death. He was the first doctor on the north side of the river, the first Worshipful Master of the Palmetto Masonic Lodge, and President of the first Palmetto City Council.
Erected 1968 by The First Baptist
Location. 27° 30.889′ N, 82° 34.616′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 11th Avenue West just north of 4th Street West, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1020 4th Street West, Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmetto (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palmetto Riverside Bed and Breakfast (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Chime Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Plymouth (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. 1.2 miles away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 5. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.