Strafford in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The Town of Strafford received its charter on August 12, 1761. By the 1790s the area surrounding the Common, known as Strafford Village, became the town center with a mill dam and mill, several homes, an inn, and a store. The Strafford Village Historic District consists of nearly thirty residences and other structures built in the vicinity of the Common prior to the 1850s. The 1799 meeting house is the locus of the village and forms the principal community landmark. Also significant are the many houses constructed between 1780 and 1830, as well as the United Church built in 1832, the Brick Store in 1834, and the Morrill Homestead in 1851. Justin Smith Morrill, who served in Congress for nearly forty-four years, was born in Strafford Village in 1810.
Erected 2013 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 51.923′ N, 72° 22.633′ W. Marker is in Strafford, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Justin Morrill Memorial Highway and Brooks Road on Justin Morrill Memorial Highway. Touch for map. On the Town Common in Strafford Village. Marker is in this post office area: Strafford VT 05072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Strafford (here, next to this marker); Justin Smith Morrill / Morrill Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City and Old City Falls (approx. 1.2 miles away); Furnace Flat (approx. 3.1 miles away); Elizabeth Mine (approx. 3.6 miles away); Tunbridge World's Fair (approx. 6 miles away); Site of 1780 Raid (approx. 6½ miles away); Wagon Wheels Farm (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strafford.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2017, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 19, 2017, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2. submitted on June 4, 2017, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.