Edison Park School
Historic Edison Park School, a public elementary school, is one of the oldest in Southwest Florida. It has played a prominent role in the cultural as well as the educational life of this community. Started in 1926 and opened on March 30, 1927, it was named for the gracious residential subdivision in which it stands, which was named for Thomas A. Edison, whose winter home it adjoins. The great inventor and his wife attended the cornerstone laying on May 13, 1926.
At that time the Edison Park School auditorium, with a seating capacity then of 500, was the largest auditorium in Lee County. As such, its stage was for a quarter of a century the site of most of the concerts and theatrical performances, amateur and professional, presented in Fort Myers.
The school's first principal was the late Miss Pearl Bullock, who held that post for 32 years.
Erected 1983 by Periwinkle Garden Club of Fort Myers.
Location. 26° 37.956′ N, 81° 52.49′ W. Marker is in Fort Myers, Florida, in Lee County. Marker is on Euclid Avenue 0.1 miles west of Cortez Boulevard, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The school is now the Edison Park Creative and Expressive Arts School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2401 Euclid Avenue, Fort Myers FL 33901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.