Trinity United Methodist Church
The first church building was a box frame with a palmetto thatch roof, built near today's Melbourne Street. It served as a church and a school until the second structure was built here in 1889 on land donated by Mathieu and Mary E. (Knight) Giddens. That wood-framed, shingled-roof structure was dedicated in 1890 and later destroyed by the 1910 hurricane. A third church survived the hurricane of 1926, but swayed during services in 1944. Men, women and children razed it, then constructed the fourth church building over a period of six years.
Dedicated in November, 1950, the current masonry church has beautiful stained glass windows, restored pews from 1890, and a tower with a church bell which rings for services every Sunday.
Location. 26° 57.575′ N, 82° 4.267′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Harbor, Florida, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of Seneca Avenue and Parmely Street, on the right when traveling north on Seneca Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23084 Seneca Avenue, Punta Gorda FL 33980, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charlotte Harbor Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Hickory Bluff Pioneers (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Hotel Punta Gorda (approx. 2.1 miles away); Juan Ponce de Leon (approx. 3.7 miles away); First White Man Dies in America (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fort Ogden (approx. 11.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.