Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Route 1

1913-1926

 

—Falling Creek Ironworks Park —

 
Historic Route 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, January 25, 2017
1. Historic Route 1 Marker
Inscription. The United Daughters of the Confederacy conceived of the Jefferson Davis Highway in 1913, along the same series of roads in Virginia that U.S. Route 1 later followed. The Virginia General Assembly officially designated the United Daughters of the Confederacy's route as the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in 1922. It was added to the state highway system in 1918 as state Route 1, then was renumbered state Route 301 in 1923. The U.S. Route 1 designation was applied to its whole length in 1926. The General Assembly designated it as, “Historic Route 1" in 2008, at the request of the Jefferson Davis Association.

A drive along the Route 1 corridor in Chesterfield County will take visitors past numerous historical and heritage sites including the Defense Supply Center, historic Bellwood House, Drewry’s Bluff, Dutch Gap Canal, Falling Creek Ironworks Park, Half Way House, Battery Dantzler and Fort Stevens.

Historic Route One Facts

Route 1 is 2,390 mile long and is the longest north-south highway in the United States. It runs from Fort Kent, Maine, to Key West, Florida. U.S. Route 1 was established in 1911 as the Quebec-Maine International Highway. In 1915 it was renamed the Atlantic Highway and would eventually be known as Route 1. Route 1 ends at the southernmost tip of the country, in Key West.

Most
Falling Creek Ironworks Park Kiosk image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher
2. Falling Creek Ironworks Park Kiosk
of Interstate 95 was completed in the late 1970s, replacing Route 1 as the main highway along the East Coast. Route 1 passes through major historic sites related to the Civil War in Baltimore, Maryland and Richmond. Historic markers along the highway point out specific locations and events connected to the war.

(captions)
Painting by Sydney King depicting the battle of Drewry’s Bluff, (courtesy of National Park Service)
Bellwood House, built in 1804 by Richard Gregory. The house was used as headquarters by General P.G.T. Beauregard during the Civil War. James Bellwood purchased the house in 1887. In 1941, the U.S. government purchased the land for a military supply depot known today as Defense General Supply Center.
The Half Way House
 
Erected 2016 by Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation, Chesterfield Heritage Alliance.
 
Location. 37° 26.277′ N, 77° 26.278′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Marina Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Falling Creek Ironworks Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6407 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Richmond VA 23237, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Falling Creek Ironworks Park image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher
3. Falling Creek Ironworks Park
within walking distance of this marker. Falling Creek Stone Bridge (here, next to this marker); Cultural History (here, next to this marker); Historic Village of Bensley (here, next to this marker); Natural History (a few steps from this marker); Iron Furnace Overlook (a few steps from this marker); Cary’s Mill Overlook (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Natural History (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Historic Village of Bensley (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation. (Submitted on January 26, 2017.)
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 210 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement