Conway in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin
Conway First Baptist Church
The Conway First Baptist Church was organized in 1910 and first housed in a clubhouse on Arnold Avenue and Anderson Road. In February 1911, the clubhouse and lot were sold or exchanged for five acres of land owned by the Matthew Burkett family. Church members donated money and labor to build the congregation's first church on the newly acquired land. During the next decade, additions such as a wood-burning heater, pews, and white paint improved the little frame building. A variety of pastors made long trips to the church, some even crossing Lake Conway by boat, until a full-time pastor was hired in the late 1920s or early 30s.
Construction of Sunday school rooms was started in 1940 and on May 4, 1941, a homecoming day was celebrated with ten classrooms dedicated. In the fall of 1949, the Business Men's Class of First Baptist Church of Orlando gave $1,500 requesting it to be donated to Conway Baptist Church for building purposes. Much support and sacrifice led to the dedication of a new sanctuary on November 19, 1950.
Fort Gatlin was built in November 1838 during the Second Seminole War. It was named in honor of army surgeon Dr. Henry Gatlin who was killed at the beginning of the war in the Dade's Massacre. The fort stood
Erected by Richard T. Crotty, Mayor-Linda A. Stewart, Commissioner District 4-Orange County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 28° 29.687′ N, 81° 19.861′ W. Marker is in Conway, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of South Conway Road (State Road 15) and Gatlin Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Conway Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 South Conway Road, Orlando FL 32812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School (approx. ¼ mile away); Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy (approx. 0.6 miles away); The English Colony/The Polo Club (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Gatlin 1838 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of Fort Gatlin (approx. 2.2 miles away); 1972 B-52 Crash (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site and Home of Francis Eppes (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.