Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hezikiah Haskell House

 
 
Hezikiah Haskell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan Cox, January 31, 2017
1. Hezikiah Haskell House Marker
Inscription. The community of Clarksville is an early freedman's community that was established after the Civil War. Freed slave Charles Clark founded the community in 1871 as a place where former slaves could reunite with their family members, direct their own lives and openly practice their religion for the first time. Peter Tucker, a former slave, purchased land from real estate speculators around 1875. It is believed he built the home around 1879. Between 1878 and 1887 Mary and Edwin Smith purchased the home home. Later, Hezikiah Haskell, a Union soldier and "Buffalo Soldier," and a member of the black cavalry boarded with the Smiths and later married their daughter Catherine. In 1892, the Smiths deeded the home to their daughter. After the death of Hezikiah Haskell, Jr. in 1976, the home was deeded to the city of Austin and used as a senior lunch program site for a number of years.

The Hezikiah Haskell house is a Cumberland-style, single-wall construction, board and batten home with double separated front doors. The house sits on its original location and maintains a high degree of physical integrity. The exterior is unpainted board and batten and the roof is of rough-hewn cedar shingle shakes. The floor plan is unaltered, although room were added to the back. They no longer stand, but a few original windows and some of the square nails used for construction still exist. The Hezikiah Haskell house stands as a remind of Clarksville's historic and cultural roots and of the struggles of the people who moved there to live in freedom after years of servitude and separation. Clarksville is listed on the national register of historic places as a historic district.
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Location. 30° 16.92′ N, 97° 45.694′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Waterston Avenue and Woodlawn Boulevard, on the left when traveling west on Waterston Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1705 Waterston Ave, Austin TX 78703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clarksville (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mathews School (approx. mile away); King-Von Rosenberg House (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Confederate Men's Home (approx. half a mile away); Okewell (approx. half a mile away); Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House (approx. half a mile away); Judge Calvin Maples Cureton (approx. half a mile away); The William Green Hill House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. African AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2017, by Bryan Cox of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 170 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on January 31, 2017, by Bryan Cox of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement