Near Lake City in Marshall County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Constructed in 1887
During the Roaring Twenties, the Fort was leased for use as a hunting lodge. The hospital became the club room and main gathering place. Sportsmen came to hunt prairie chickens and ducks. For the poor marksmen, and for those who had more interest in poker, a professional hunter was hired to shoot the birds.
Guests also enjoyed boating on nearby lakes. There was even a putting green on the parade grounds.
Sun. Nov. 26, 1865. Doc and Sep up all night gambling. Blowers and Peterson each made $25 tonight playing "Honest-John."
Location. 45° 39.5′ N, 97° 31.851′ W. Marker is near Lake City, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker can be reached from 434th Ave. 1½ miles south of 118th Stret. Touch for map. The Marker is located .1 mile from the parking lot on the main foot path. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11907 434th Ave,, Lake City SD 57247, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doctor's Residence (a few steps from this marker); Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Sisseton North Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Officers' Quarters (about 300 feet away); Governor William J. Janklow and Fort Sisseton (about 300 feet away); Senator Curt Jones and Fort Sisseton (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Also see . . . Fort Sisseton State Historic Park. (Submitted on February 3, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.